September 11, 2008

Out of My Hands

There is such a fine line between frustration and disappointment. I'm having a hard time figuring out if my frustration is leading to my disappointment or if the disappointment is causing me to get frustrated. The equation gets much more tricky when the resulting frustration and/or disappointment involves other people. It's one thing when I am the one who is solely responsible or could have somehow made a difference in the outcome because then it is on me but when it involves others, there is only so much I can do and after that it's out of my control, which can sometimes be hard for me as I am forced to sit back and watch things unfold in front of me.

I guess when you think about it, frustration and/or disappointment can be a good or bad thing depending on what you do with each of them. If you dwell on them, never letting go to the point of not being able to move forward then they have clearly become a bad thing but on the other hand, if you can take a step back and find out what caused the frustration and/or disappointment they might be enough to motivate you to make a change so they don't happen again. Then it would almost seem like they could be good things or at least be used in a good way but even then they are still not fun to deal with.

2 comments:

Tommy said...

i wish i could learn to let go.

Matt said...

tommy: thanks for the read and comment. sucks that it's so hard to learn and yet can make all the difference.