August 2, 2009

On Health Care

This is not my attempt to explain the health care situation in our country because honestly I have not taken the time I need to understand what is going on. What I do know is that it doesn't seem to be working that well as is and that there are a lot of people that don't have health insurance or access to health care due to its cost. Of course there are as many opinions about this issue as there are potential solutions to the problems and like other major issues, politics play a part as well.

I heard on the news today that the federal deficit is growing as a result of a number of issues, one of them being rising costs of health care. The report went on to say that the federal government was not ruling out the possibility of raising taxes on the middle class in order to help cover the gap in the federal budget.

To be honest, I have no problem paying more of my hard-earned money in taxes if it will help provide health care for an individual or family who otherwise would not have access. I am blessed enough to have access to health care and it seems like if I can help someone get the care s/he needs then that is what Christ would expect me to do. I'm not sure I know which political party has the right answer to the health care question but I am pretty sure that regardless of your political affiliation, if you consider yourself a follower of Jesus you are called to serve all, even the "least of these".

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

tru dat. There are so many people who live extravagant lives while there are people who can't afford proper health care... If people could only live less than their income, i don't think they would have such a hard time stewarding it right. This of course coming from a 17 year old who has never worked a real job..

Matt Lipan said...

duckstaped: thanks for the read and comment.

despite being "a 17 year old who has never worked a real job" it seems like you are getting some things figured out that a lot of people never quite get.

living "less than their income"...ha, nice work! that's some solid stuff right there.

trixie said...

Can a disciple of Christ NOT believe in sharing one's blessings and fortunes with others?

If loving one's neighbor as oneself is 1/2 of the most important commandment, then how would one justify healthcare for him/herself but not for others?

Matt Lipan said...

trixie: thanks for the read and comment.

a couple great questions! i would tend to think that it would be pretty difficult for a disciple of Jesus to not share out of one's blessings with others. i also think it might be hard to justify health care for one but not another but that's just my thought.

thanks for asking some good questions, certainly ones to make us think.