October 26, 2009

For the Record...


Growing up, I was not a big reader, unless of course I was working on getting a gold star toward my Book It! pizza but when I would checkout a book from the library, it was not uncommon for it to be one of the "Calvin and Hobbes" (created by Bill Watterson) comic books.

I feel as though I need to say something in defense of your friend and mine, Calvin. I was driving downtown the other night to go duckpin bowling and couldn't help but notice a giant truck in front of me that had the sticker of Calvin peeing on *fill in the blank*. Of course, like you, I have seen this image countless times plastered on the back of this or that vehicle (usually some sort of pickup truck, though I don't want to create a stereotype) but for whatever reason this time I started thinking about how Calvin is getting a bad rap. For the record...through all of my time spent with Calvin and his pet tiger Hobbes I do not recall a single time when Calvin, or Hobbes for that matter, ever peed on anyone or anything.

So, I think it should be known that though Calvin would find himself in some occasional trouble, he would never go so far as to pee on something or someone. These images are an inaccurate portrayal of a boyhood friend. That and they are simply rude.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah! BookIt! Those were the days... simpler times :)

Roger T. Feeback said...

Totally agree, love Calvin! He is a mess, but would not pee on anything cept the back of his toilet! hahaha

Marty Morrow said...

you are absolutely right. Hey, who's that in the background of the pic you posted? He's shoveling snow - could it be Calvin's cartoon dad? I don't recall ever seeing his parents in any of his cartoons!

Matt Lipan said...

lunchboxsw: wasn't Book It! great? nothing like getting hooked up with pizza, though i've never been a huge fan of Pizza Hut.

Rog: ha, well said! he was quite the mess but would never go that far.

marty morrow: nice find with the dude in the window. i didn't even notice that when i found the image. calvin's dad? or maybe a neighbor?? the mystery continues...