November 14, 2009

The Weight of it All

Have you ever taken a moment to think about the crushing weight of sin that is present in our lives? It is a humbling thing to experience even just a portion of this burden which can instantly paralyze. I'm not sure how someone could think about the impact of sin in his or her life and not feel the gut wrenching sickness that being held in its vice-grip can bring. Sin has a destructive force that we cannot overcome on our own, which many of us know and yet, we still try. It is impossible to stand up on our own under this crushing weight and yet, we still try, leaving us to piece a fragmented life back together.

I was thinking about this the other day and was humbled by how far short I fall in trying to be like Jesus. Humbled is just a watered down way of saying that I could relate with Paul when he says, "What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?" (Romans 7:24). I don't know about you but I am sick of sin in my life and the feelings of emptiness, guilt, and shame that come with it.

In steps Jesus.

Paul answers his own question, "Jesus Christ our Lord!" (Romans 7:25). Jesus fills our emptiness, erases our guilt, takes our shame. It is Him and only Him who is able to pull us out from under the weight of sin and allow us to be truly free and completely whole. The One who is willing and able to bear the weight of it all desires to do so for you and I. Sin doesn't have to weigh us down anymore.

0 comments: