March 30, 2012

John 14:1-7, 18-19

1 “Don’t be troubled. Trust in God. Trust also in me. 2 My Father’s house has room to spare. If that weren’t the case, would I have told you that I’m going to prepare a place for you? 3 When I go to prepare a place for you, I will return and take you to be with me so that where I am you will be too. 4 You know the way to the place I’m going.”
 5 Thomas asked, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going. How can we know the way?”
 6 Jesus answered, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you have really known me, you will also know the Father. From now on you know him and have seen him.”
18 “I won’t leave you as orphans. I will come to you. 19 Soon the world will no longer see me, but you will see me. Because I live, you will live too." (CEB)

The part that sticks out to me is when Jesus says, "so that where I am you will be too" (vs. 3). What a powerful image. We will be where Christ will be because He desires to have us there with Him. Maybe that's what He means when He calls Himself "the life," that where He is, there is life. 

What are the things that bring you life? How often do you stay near them? I wonder why we allow ourselves to get distracted and weighed down by things that don't bring life but instead stress, worry, etc. 

What do you find meaningful, confusing, or challenging in this passage?

0 comments: