March 30, 2008

Still Looking

You broke the bonds
And you loosed the chains
Carried the cross of my shame
Oh my shame, you know I believe it.

But I still haven't found
What I'm looking for.
I was driving home tonight from a church meeting and the song "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" from the album Joshua Tree by U2 (arguable one of the greatest albums of all time) came up on my ipod's shuffle playlist. Here's a song that I have heard countless times and love belting out as loud as I can each time and every time I hear the above line from this song, it makes me stop and think.

It makes me wonder how many of us as Christians are still searching for something. It's like we are saying we believe in all the stuff we are suppose to believe in as a Christian but are looking for something more, like it's not quite enough. But what more can there really be...knowledge, wealth, fame, looks, things? Every single one of these things that most of us try to obtain leave us wanting more. There will always be someone smarter, richer, more popular, better looking or possessing more things. It's funny because when I hear this song, I try to pretend like I have the opportunity to ask Bono what more there is to be looking for than the One who "carried the cross of my shame". Are we so discontent that even this is not enough?

0 comments: