October 27, 2008

Common Decency

This post is a few weeks overdue but I have finally gotten to the point where I can't take it anymore. Have we lost all decency as a consumer society that the lines have become so badly blurred that I have not only seen Christmas things in various store windows but have even seen Christmas decorations on the houses and in the yards of private citizens weeks before Halloween?!?

I feel like I'm a pretty tolerable person. It doesn't bother me in the least to have your yard telling me which political candidate or party you support; heck, go ahead and turn it into a used car lot but when I see an inflatable "snow-globe" at the beginning of October then we might have some issues. They might be my issues or theirs but clearly there are some issues.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Christmas, especially when it's Christmastime but since I've recently made a personal commitment to Fall as my favorite season, I'd like to enjoy it without being blinded by Rudolph's nose.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

rudolph ftw

Anonymous said...

aw rudolph.... he's so cool...but only in the right season!

Anonymous said...

I must admit that originally I thought this post was just a little ridiculous. I didn't really understand what or who it hurt to have Christmas decorations out so early. However, I found the answer to my question last night as I had to run to the very farthest back corner of Target to find a pumpkin carving kit. Evidently, the Halloween stuff had been moved to the back of the store to make room for the 12 aisles of Christmas decorations. Seriously folks, I'm all about Christmas, but bumping a holiday before it even happens is just wrong.

Matt Lipan said...

lace face: for the win indeed...thanks for the read

anonymous: thanks for the read and i obviously agree though i must admit that my favorite "version" of rudolph is the one from the original "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" tv special.

em: thanks for the read and comment. a perfect example of exactly what i'm talking about, borderline absurd if you ask me.