February 17, 2010

Pardon the Interruption

No, not the show on ESPN with Tony Kornheiser and Mike Wilbon, though I do like it. I was actually thinking more along the lines of what God might be saying to me lately.

What would happen if God interrupted by schedule by wanting to spend some time with me? Honestly, I'm bummed because my first thoughts were about the appointments or meetings I might miss, the time I could be using to prep for a worship service or a Bible study I might be teaching. There are times when it really does seem like an interruption to me and I can't help but wonder if maybe, just maybe, my priorities might get a little out of whack when that happens.

Most of us are familiar with the story of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10:25-37) and how he was willing to take time out of his schedule to attend to the needs of another. Was it an interruption in the guy's plans for the day, absolutely! Was the man willing to set some other things aside because he knew it was the right thing to do, absolutely!

It is clear that God is asking me if I am willing to pardon His interruption in my day and well, the more I think about it, the more it seems like any "interruption" God wants to throw my way is the very thing I should be spending time on anyways. Maybe what seems like an interruption to me becomes, in reality, a chance to refocus and be reminded that my time and my schedule are really God's to begin with.

0 comments: