May 12, 2010

A Fragile Humility

Blinking lights.
Flashing numbers.
Electronic charts.
Mechanical sounds.

The clock reads 12:47am as I sit in a hospital room watching my wife whisper to her grandpa as she rubs his arm while he struggles to breathe. I am reminded of how fragile life is and I am humbled.

I am humbled to be here in this place;
to witness the vulnerability of a strong man and his family.

I am humbled by the tireless care that is given, both by family and by professional. The nurse mentions a breathing treatment at 3am with a smile as if she meant 3pm. All the while a family member remains by his bedside, night or day.

I am reminded of how fragile it is to be human and am humbled that God would choose to become one of us.

Life is fragile.
Love is strong.
God is Love.
I am humbled.