July 8, 2009

Lifestyle

What kind of lifestyle do you lead? I think this question has the ability to be one that is gut wrenching-ly difficult or one that can be answered somewhat flippantly. My guess is it becomes the former if we take the time to truly examine the kind of life we lead; the things we do, the things we say, the things we value, the way we spend our money, our time, our energy. All of these contribute to the type of lifestyle you and I live on a daily basis.

It seems like, at least to me, the best type of lifestyle to lead is one that focuses on the lives of others first. It really is to everyone's advantage to live a life in this way because it moves the emphasis of my life off of me and on to the needs and concerns of others. What I think this looks like on its most basic level is a lifestyle modeled after that of Jesus. Isn't that really what Christians should be striving for in the first place?

The benefits of a life trying to imitate Jesus are obvious as the things we do, the things we say, the things we value, the way we spend our money, our time, and our energy are all directed by the way Jesus would use those things...for others. It's a win-win for everyone involved: for those whose needs and concerns we are trying to meet and for ourselves because it's in those moments of selfless service that we find true fulfillment and joy.

0 comments: