February 15, 2008

Clipping the Religious Wings part 2

This post is a result of a request from one of the readers named Alison and relates back to my original post on Jan. 21 entitled Clipping the Religious Wings.

I raised a number of questions surrounding the terms "Evangelical Right" and "Religious Left" as they refer to different combinations of religion and wing politics. If you have followed any of the presidential election process up to this point, you have seen that religion has played a significant role in more than one way. The religion or faith of the candidates has been talked about more in this campaign than in any other I have lived through and the emphasis on the "religious wing" voters grows stronger almost by the day.

It's interesting to look back at the history of our country and remember that many of those that came from Europe came seeking religious freedom from their governments even to the point of including the idea of separation of church and state in the founding documents. So what role should one's faith play in the voting process? I think it should be made clear that Christians as a whole find themselves voting all over the place....conservative, liberal, Democrat, Republican, Independent, not voting at all, moderate and to try and pigeon hole Christian voters as only being able to vote one particular way is not only impossible but foolish. Can someone be a Christian and vote Democratic or even Republican...OF COURSE!! Last I checked, no political party or lobby group has exclusive rights to the faith whose main focus is to be like Jesus.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

matt is right. it is ignorant to think that christians should only vote for conservative candidates. I for one try to vote for the candidate not the political party they are affiliated with. OBAMA 08!

Unknown said...

LIPAN for Prez...

i'd vote for you.

Matt Lipan said...

nagi - thanks for the read and comment.

holly - ha! thanks for the read and my first ever presidential endorsement.

Anonymous said...

yeah...I requested that we continue this discussion, but now I don't really have much else to say.
I would guess there is a strong correlation between super-conservative Christians and Republican voters. But I guess that's based on my definition of the word "conservative." I think if one were to do a study of voters who are members of a particularly conservative denomination, one would find that many of them vote Republican. Maybe I'm wrong...but even though many of us separate our political and religious opinions/beliefs to an extent, I think when someone is REALLY conservative, he/she would consider it a "sin" to vote liberal. I hope I'm wrong, but it's doubtful.