February 12, 2008

Naptown Roller Girls

This past Saturday we had a Fusion Young Adult Ministries social event to the Naptown Roller Girls roller derby bout at the Indiana State Fairgrounds. If you're like me and have never been to a roller derby bout before, let me tell you from personal experience...throw out any assumptions you have about the type of people that might go to an event like this. We're talking every race, age, economic class, piercings, tattoos, etc. From the 83yr old lady sitting in front of us to the family with 2 kids that couldn't have been more than 6 sitting behind us.

Once I started to get the hang of how the event actually takes place and how the scoring works, it was kind of fun. It's funny though because I went in expecting not very many people to be there, for the girls to be skating much faster and there to be more pushing and shoving on the track. Needless to say, I was wrong on all accounts. There quite a few people there, to the point where it was hard to find a seat and a ton of people left with standing room only. The girls didn't skate as fast as I expected or beat each other up as much as I thought but it was still a good time. Here is a little video my friend Jeremy Lehman shot in case you don't believe we were actually there...

0 comments: