May 23, 2008

A Slap In The Face

This has been one of those weeks for me where it seems like everything is happening at once and I can't seem to catch up. My classes are finishing up this week so I've got to get my papers in, books read, forums posted, etc and on top of that prepare a sermon for Sunday, stay on top of a lot of things going on at church, and blah blah blah. The thing that actually started to cause me to feel stressed was an email virus that had found its way into our network at church and as I was driving to volleyball practice I was thinking about the 218 emails that showed up in my inbox as "undeliverable" because they said I was trying to let people know where they could purchase their pharmaceuticals online or buy fancy replica watches (apparently I know the best places so hit me up if you're interested)...

...and then, as if out of nowhere God slapped me across the face with some perspective...

...on the news I was reminded about 5 million people that have been displaced by the earthquake in China and over 55,000 people killed AND the 130,000 killed in Myanmar by the cyclone. I have never experienced an audible voice from God, at least not that I'm aware of, but this had to have been pretty close to it as I could clearly hear the words in my heart saying,

"Matt, you're kidding me right? You're not seriously whining about your email inbox, forgetting the fact that you own multiple computers OR that you have to read some books for a masters degree, forgetting the fact that there are people on this earth that still haven't located their loved ones because of these disasters OR that there are people that can't afford to buy food for their starving families. Please get some perspective and while you're at it, get a clue!"

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i admire your heart.
keeping perspective tends to be my middle name...

David Stokely said...

I enjoy your blog. I'll stop back.

Matt Lipan said...

neal hennessy:yeah, perspective can give quite the 'slap'

holly:to be honest, you are the one deserving of admiration and respect. i am constantly encouraged and challenged by your outlook on life and heart for others. you continue to provide a welcomed & needed 'slap' for me, so thanks for that!

david a. stokely:thanks so much for the read and comment. i look forward to another visit from you and to check out your blog.