May 6, 2009

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

I had the chance to grab a matinee showing on opening day of the latest film in the X-Men series entitled "X-Men Origins: Wolverine". Overall I found it to be entertaining but must admit that I was a little disappointed. I really enjoyed the previous X-Men movies (especially 1 & 2, 3 was ok) and had high expectations coming into this movie, which maybe was unfair on my part but, fair or unfair, I didn't feel like this movie was nearly as good.

The movie focuses on the character of Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) and his journey of self discovery and realization. There is plenty of action and special effects, arguably too much in an attempt to make up for a story line that might not be strong enough to carry a 106min long movie. I was interested by the story and would have traded seeing it developed a little more for some of the different action sequences, which I think would have allowed Wolverine's sarcastic wit (that I enjoyed so much in the previous movies) to show up.

I found this movie to be entertaining but was hoping for more. There is a lot of action and most, if not all, is fairly violent so please take that into consideration if you plan on seeing it or allowing children to see it. For what it's worth, I would give it a B/B-.

0 comments: