January 10, 2008

OT Heroes Part I - Abraham

We are starting a study on some of the Old Testament heroes which will include David, Jonah, Noah, Moses, Rahab, Esther, Daniel, Ruth and a handful of others. The one I wanted to comment on right now is Abram, whose name later becomes Abraham. One of the parts of his story that I think is worth highlighting takes place in Genesis 17. It is here that we read about the covenant that God enters into with Abraham and his descendants. As you continue to read through the chapter, you come across an interesting exchange between God and Abraham that I think is worth noting.

"15 God also said to Abraham, "As for Sarai your wife, you are no longer to call her Sarai; her name will be Sarah. 16 I will bless her and will surely give you a son by her. I will bless her so that she will be the mother of nations; kings of peoples will come from her." 17 Abraham fell facedown; he laughed and said to himself, "Will a son be born to a man a hundred years old? Will Sarah bear a child at the age of ninety?"

God tells Abraham that the world will be blessed through his descendants, that will be as numerous as the stars in the sky and all of these people will come from he and his wife Sarah. They have a combined age of almost 200yrs, not to mention Sarah has been barren up to this point in her life and God promises that this promise will be fulfilled through Sarah. I love that the author points out that Abraham first falls down in reverence and submission and then laughs. He actually laughs at what God says to him.

Two things I like about this: 1) God is hilarious and has a sense of humor. I mean come on, how funny is it that God, in His perfect wisdom, waited for Sarah to be over 90yrs old to have her first baby!?! 2) Abraham wasn't afraid to laugh in God's presence. I think sometimes Christians forget it is OK to laugh; to laugh at ourselves, each other, and maybe even at the things God does some times. Not only is it OK but it's good for you and I to laugh every now and then. Don't miss the joy found in following Christ by taking yourself to seriously.

0 comments: