December 17, 2007

My Favorite Things about Christmastime

There is something about this time of year that I find really nostalgic and peaceful, which has led me to put together a list of my favorite things during Christmastime. Maybe you will agree or won't but hopefully they will make you think of some things you like during this time of year.

These are in no particular order...

*I like sitting in a comfortable room in my house with no lights on except the Christmas lights

*Shoveling the neighbor's sidewalk just because I like to shovel and receiving a loaf of freshly baked cranberry bread as a bonus

*The smell of food cooking

*When Otis lays on the rug and it looks like he is admiring our Christmas tree when in reality he is probably wondering why he hasn't "marked" it yet

*Classic Christmas songs like "Jingle Bells", "White Christmas", "Winter Wonderland" from people like Ella Fitzgerald, Dean Martin, Tony Bennett, Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra

*I like seeing other people out shopping for family and friends, really trying to find that perfect gift

*Warm homemade drinks and our attempts at roasting chestnuts

*Watching classic Christmas specials on TV like A Charlie Brown Christmas; Rudolph, the Red Nosed Reindeer; The Grinch Who Stole Christmas to list a few

*Giving gifts, especially to my brother because he usually really likes what I get him

*Our family get-together at Grandpa Jay's & Grandma Betty's

Wow, there are more than I thought and I'm sure I'm forgetting some. I hope you're taking some time to enjoy the Christmas season, whatever your list might end up looking like.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. After reading this list, the strongest image I take away is one of you and Tai sitting next to the fire circa eighteenth century roasting chestnuts. I know you didn't say who "we" was, but that's what I pictured in my head. =)

2. I hope that on the "watching classic Christmas specials" bullet point, you just accidentally forgot to include It's a Wonderful Life. Because, well, if that's not a classic Christmas special, I don't know what is. If you need to borrow it, let me know. If you've seen it and you hate it, you probably shouldn't let me know. I feel it is my duty to bring this amazing film to those who have not yet experienced its amazingness. (Christmas Eve on Sesame Street is also a winner; I've watched it every year since I was a toddler.)

Aside from this one omission, however, I enjoyed reading this list because it made me reflect on all the stuff I enjoy about this time of year. Fires in the fireplace have to rank pretty high (because we don't have those at school). I have yet to attempt the chestnut roasting, but maybe I should consider it.