December 1, 2007

Bringing Myself Up To Date

Well, it's a new month and beside the fact that I can't believe it's December already, I've decided I'm going to do a better job of updating my blog starting today. My goal is to update it once a day but most of that depends on 1) how exciting my life is, 2) if I have anything worth saying, 3) more importantly if I have anything anyone might find worth reading and finally, 4) if I actually remember to update it. Now, with the hope that I'll be writing more frequently comes the need to write on a wide range of topics which could include but isn't limited to: Jesus and things related to Him, politics, culture, music, movies, my dog, sports, books, video games... Please don't hesitate to share your comments, ask your questions or give your suggestions, they are always appreciated if for no other reason than I know at least 1 person is reading this besides me.

Now for the real post...
What if, this year, Christmas wasn't about you or me? Now just stay with me for a second. We've all heard the seasonal cliches, "Jesus, the Reason for the Season" or "Don't take the 'Christ' out of Christmas" and I'm not saying they don't make a good point but it can be easy to ignore or lose in all of the hustle and bustle. If you think about it, Jesus was a pretty simple guy and came into the world in a pretty simple way and I wonder what Christmas could be like if we were willing to keep it simple. Willing to simply give of our time, our friendship, our money, our prayer...ourselves...and expect nothing in return.

2 comments:

Abby said...

Matt! I saw your wall post to Heather Baker on Facebook (random?) and thought I'd check out your blog. Pretty deep stuff here, but great things to think about. I appreciate you taking the time to post this stuff. Fun to sort of keep up with you a bit :)
Abby "Spoelman" Warmington
www.warmington-family.blogspot.com

mattlipan said...

Abbs-
great to hear from you. congrats on the beautiful family! thanks for checking out the blog, hope you found it worth the time. i hope things are well with you and your family.