June 17, 2008

There's Always Something

There's nothing I would have enjoyed more than to come home after a week away and be able to hang out with my wife and just relax but life seldom works that way. It seems like there is always something to deal with. When I got home Friday my dog Otis was in pretty bad shape. All four of his paws were swollen as well as his mouth. I knew he was really sick when he didn't or couldn't get up to see me when I walked in and as a result of this, I didn't sleep at all Friday night worrying about what to do with our sick dog. After 2hrs and a couple hundred bucks at the vet we still didn't know what was wrong with him so now we're just waiting and hoping that the antibiotics will do their thing, if we can actually get him to eat them which has been a challenge in and of itself. Here are a couple pics of the sick puppy...


(Not to mention we're also working on some major home improvement projects on top of everything else going on. Pictures will be up soon.)

2 things I have taken so far from this ordeal with Otis:
1. In life it seems like there is always something to deal with, stress about, pay for, etc and yet in comparison with some of the obstacles and struggles others face mine seem pretty small.

2. Otis HATES taking his medication and we have tried everything so far (my wife is actually stopping to get him a cheeseburger from Wendy's as I write this to see if that will work). He obviously doesn't realize that even though they might taste awful, they are actually needed to make him feel better. Which makes me think about how often the things we need to make us better whether spiritually, emotionally, physically, socially, etc are things that are not easy to take (ie. staying disciplined in prayer or time in the Word, exercising, eating right, breaking off an unhealthy relationship, taking a step back from an unbalanced friendship or job and the list can go on and on....). Sometimes the things that bring healing hurt a little bit at first.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

matt,
i can not handle posts like these...you must update on the progress of Otis and give him a big squeeze for me. (if it doesn't hurt him)

the med thing- here is my trick. screw the wrap the pills in food thing- they have our number on that one, don't kid yourself.
I grab Delsie's snout. Opening it up by the top of her mouth. prying it open I shove the pill in the very back of her throat and quickly close it and rub her throat. It works like a charm and she has no clue what she just swallowed!

Get well, Otis...