June 23, 2008

We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things.

I have to say from the get-go that I have never been a big Jason Mraz fan but I also haven't listened to much of his stuff so I thought I would give his new album We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things. a try.

I must say that throughout the album I couldn't help but think that there was an eerie resemblance to Jamiroquai but not nearly as good or smooth. While I think Mraz's voice is pretty good regardless, it seemed like the more "pop" style songs on the album like the single "I'm Yours" or "If It Kills Me", which also happen to be my two favorite songs on the album along with track #3 ft. Colbie Caillat entitled "Lucky" mostly because I think the duet of Caillat and Mraz's voices go so well together, the song itself is ok. Track #4, "Butterfly" was hands down my least favorite song on the album for a couple reasons: 1) I've never really been down with "sexy" songs simply because they are played out and 2) this is a perfect example of what I was talking about before with the whole Jamiroquai thing, it sounds like the 70's disco-funk thing that Jamiroquai can do so smoothly and unfortunately for Mraz, in my opinion, not so much.

I would guess if you consider yourself a Jason Mraz fan you are enjoying the album already and if you're not, I'm not sure this is the album to bring about your conversion as one. I do however like the album artwork and I think the title is kind of catchy. On a scale of 1-10, I would give this album a 7.5 but I've been known to be a pretty tough critic.

0 comments: